Meeting PD requirements
IB professional development (PD) workshops and resources are powerful tools to help develop both educators and your programmes.
The IB establishes minimum professional learning requirements, which serve as a starting point for comprehensive, strategic professional learning that leads to stronger programme implementation and positive student outcomes.
Please read the summary of PD requirements carefully. Schools undergoing programme evaluation need to meet these requirements and demonstrate this with evidence (certificates of completion).
Schools seeking authorization can find professional development requirements here.
Professional development requirements prior to evaluation
During the period under review, schools must comply with IB-recognized professional development requirements, including requirements specific to each programme as outlined below.
Please take note of these additional considerations:
- Staff appointed during the period under review refers to staff who are new to their role or to an IB programme during the period covered by the programme evaluation.
- Staff who completed a relevant IB-recognized workshop at another school meet the requirement.
- Staff who serve as a workshop leader for a relevant workshop meet this requirement.
- Relevant workshops are those specifically related to the programme and the role of a participant. Workshops for a different programme or different role do not meet the requirement.
- Completion of either an IB educator certificate or an IB leadership certificate meets the requirement for participation in a Category 1 workshop. Read more about workshop and workshop categories in our latest IB Workshops and Services catalogue.
Professional development requirements during evaluation for all programmes
- The head of school (or a designee), if appointed during the period under review, must participate in a relevant IB workshop or attend an IB Global Conference or attend an IB Heads Conference. The head of school may designate someone to participate in the workshop, provided that the designee has decision-making authority over the indicated IB programme.
- An IB programme coordinator appointed during the period under review must attend an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3, relevant to his/her role.
Programme-specific professional development requirements
In addition to the requirements above, schools must meet additional minimum requirement as follows:
Head of school requirement for all programmes
- The head of school (or designee), if appointed during the period under review, must participate in a relevant IB workshop or attended an IB Global Conference, or IB Heads World Conference.
- An IB programme coordinator appointed during the period under review must attend an IB workshop: Category 1, 2 or 3.
- Teachers hired during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3.
- One teacher, coordinator or head/principal must attend the “Building for the future” transition workshop by 31 December 2021. Schools with IB educators who have successfully completed the expectations for the IB educator network (IBEN) are exempt from this requirement.
- At all times, at least one teacher per subject group must participate in the relevant subject-group specific IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3.
- Following the review of a subject group, when a new guide has been published, at least one teacher in the indicated subject group must complete the relevant workshop. New: Development opportunities provided to update IB workshop leaders on curriculum changes also meet this requirement.
- Each school that has been authorized as part of an MYP partnership must individually comply with the IB professional development requirements.
- Any DP teacher, theory of knowledge (TOK) teacher, and creativity, activity and service (CAS) coordinator appointed during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3, related to their subject or role
- At least one Diploma Programme subject teacher per subject, one TOK teacher and the CAS coordinator must participate in a relevant IB workshop, if the subject or course has been reviewed during the period under review and when a new guide has been published. New: Development opportunities provided to update IB workshop leaders on curriculum changes also meet this requirement.
CP requirements for DP schools offering CP
- Personal and professional skills teachers appointed during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop relevant to their role.
- At least one teacher, coordinator, or the head of school must participate in a service-learning workshop.
Explore our workshop catalogue
Our latest Workshops and Services catalogue provides a detailed overview of all our IB-approved professional development workshops.