IB professional development (PD) workshops and resources are powerful tools to help develop both educators and your programmes.
The IB establishes minimum professional learning requirements, which serve as a starting point for comprehensive, strategic professional learning that leads to stronger programme implementation and positive student outcomes.
Read the summary of PD requirements for schools seeking authorization and for schools undergoing programme evaluation:
Schools seeking authorization can find professional development requirements here.
Professional development requirements prior to evaluation
During the period under review, schools must comply with IB-recognized professional development requirements, including requirements specific to each programme as outlined below.
Schools have flexibility and choice in selecting workshops to fulfil requirements. IBWS managers can support schools in selecting appropriate workshops.
IB programmes benefit from a strong commitment to professional learning aligned with focused programme development efforts and school strategic goals. Schools are encouraged to develop comprehensive professional learning plans for all teachers.
Please take note of these additional considerations:
- Staff appointed during the period under review refers to staff who are new to their role or to an IB programme during the period covered by the programme evaluation.
- Staff who completed a relevant IB-recognized workshop at another school meet the requirement.
- Staff who serve as a workshop leader for a relevant workshop meet this requirement.
- Relevant workshops are any Category 1, 2 and 3 workshops related to the programme and the role of a participant. Workshops for a different programme or different role do not meet the requirement. School context determines which workshops are relevant for the role.
- Completion of either an IB educator certificate or an IB leadership certificate meets the requirement for participation in IB-recognized workshops.
- Completion of Master of Education in Advanced Teaching from University of the People meets the requirement for participation in IB-recognized workshops.
Professional development requirements during evaluation for all programmes
- The head of school (or a designee), if appointed during the period under review, must participate in a relevant IB workshop or attend an IB Global Conference or attend an IB Heads Conference. The head of school may designate someone to participate in the workshop, provided that the designee has decision-making authority over the indicated IB programme.
- An IB programme coordinator appointed during the period under review must attend an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3, relevant to his/her role.
Programme-specific professional development requirements
In addition to the requirements above, schools must meet additional minimum requirement as follows:
Head of school requirement for all programmes
- The head of school (or designee), if appointed during the period under review, must participate in a relevant IB workshop or attended an IB Global Conference, or IB Heads World Conference.
- An IB programme coordinator appointed during the period under review must attend an IB workshop: Category 1, 2 or 3.
- Teachers hired during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3.
- At all times, at least one teacher per subject group must participate in the relevant subject-group specific IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3.
- Following the review of a subject group, when a new guide has been published, at least one teacher in the indicated subject group must complete the relevant workshop. Development opportunities provided to update IB workshop leaders on curriculum changes also meet this requirement.
- Each school that has been authorized as part of an MYP partnership must individually comply with the IB professional development requirements.
- Any DP teacher, theory of knowledge (TOK) teacher, and creativity, activity and service (CAS) coordinator appointed during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop: category 1, 2 or 3, related to their subject or role
- At least one Diploma Programme subject teacher per subject, one TOK teacher and the CAS coordinator must participate in a relevant IB workshop, if the subject or course has been reviewed during the period under review and when a new guide has been published. Development opportunities provided to update IB workshop leaders on curriculum changes also meet this requirement.
CP requirements for DP schools offering CP
- Personal and professional skills teachers appointed during the period under review must participate in an IB workshop relevant to their role.
- At least one teacher, coordinator, or the head of school must participate in a service-learning workshop.
Explore our workshop catalogue
Our latest Workshops and Services catalogue provides a detailed overview of all our IB-approved professional development workshops.