This study evaluates the alignment between DP mathematics (analysis and approaches and applications and interpretation) and English (language and literature) courses compared to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for mathematics (CCSSM) and CCSS for English language arts. Overall, HL language and literature is substantially more demanding than the CCSS for English, while all DP mathematics courses, at both SL and HL, are more demanding than the CCSSM.
Specific findings (CCSS)
Learning outcomes (CCSS)
- While there is moderate alignment between DP SL and HL mathematics and the CCSSM, there is high alignment between DP SL and HL language and literature and the CCSS for English.
Content alignment (CCSS)
- The DP SL mathematics subjects have more breadth but slightly less depth than the CCSSM. HL mathematics subjects have both more breadth and depth than the CCSSM.
- With regard to English, generally, DP language and literature (both SL and HL) includes most of the content described in the CCSS for English, in addition to including other content areas. The DP language and literature course enables greater depth of content, particularly by encouraging metacognitive thinking.
- All DP mathematics courses, both at SL and HL, considerably surpass the CCSSM in demand in terms of volume of work and stretch areas.
- While the DP SL language and literature course matches the demand of CCSS for English, the HL language and literature course surpasses it in volume of work, depth of knowledge and number of stretch areas.
Specific findings (NGSS)
This study also evaluates the alignment between DP sciences (biology, chemistry and physics) and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) (life sciences (biology) and physical sciences (physics and chemistry)). Overall, the DP science courses, both at SL and HL, considerably surpass the NGSS in content depth and level of detail as well as in demand.
Learning outcomes (NGSS)
- There is high alignment between DP SL and HL sciences and the NGSS.
Content alignment (NGSS)
- There is substantial content overlap between the NGSS and DP science courses at SL; however, there is more content depth and level of detail at both SL and HL than in the NGSS. DP HL science subjects, in particular, have considerably more content than the NGSS. Of the three science subjects, NGSS chemistry has the lowest level of content overlap with the DP.
- The DP science courses, both at SL and HL, considerably surpass the NGSS in demand, with particularly strong differences in outstanding demand areas and volume of work.