This study evaluates the alignment between Diploma Programme (DP) courses, at standard level (SL) and higher level (HL), and comparison courses from the French Baccalauréat (FB). Specifically, the study compares the following courses from the two curricula along three dimensions: learning outcomes, content alignment and demand.
Analysis and approaches (AA) at SL and HLApplications and interpretation (AI) at SL and HL
Biology at SL and HL
Chemistry at SL and HLPhysics at SL and HL
Philosophy at SL and HLTheory of knowledge (TOK) core component
- In terms of learning outcomes, while there is moderate alignment between DP and FB mathematics courses, there is high alignment between DP and FB science and philosophy courses.
- There is moderate content overlap between DP and FB mathematics courses. In terms of breadth and depth, there is more content overlap between DP SL mathematics courses and FB mathematicsP but less overlap between DP HL mathematics courses and FB mathematicsT.
- Overall, there is greater content overlap between DP SL and FB science courses and less overlap between DP HL and FB science courses.
- There is moderate content overlap between DP and FB philosophy courses. However, content overlap between TOK and FB philosophy is fairly limited.
- All DP mathematics courses surpass the demand of FB mathematicsP, and DP HL mathematics courses are more demanding than FB mathematicsT.
- DP SL science courses are slightly more demanding than FB science courses, and DP HL science courses are considerably more demanding than FB science courses.
- Both DP HL philosophy and TOK exceed the demand of the FB philosophy course.
1Two levels of study are offered for FB mathematics: mathematicsP and mathematicsT, with the latter building on the content of the former.
2Physics/chemistry is a combined subject within the FB.